Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cinnabar Hills Golf Club - 2.20.10

Wow it's already Thursday (2/25) and I have yet to write about my experience at Cinnabar Hills. Here I go...

So how did I shoot? I shot a 104 with a mulligan thrown in because Anthony forgot to bring my putter to the putting green. But that's a story for another day. So yea, I shot a 104. That isn't bad because I aimed to at least break 110 because it was my first time on the course, the greens were the fastest greens I've ever played on and slope was 120.

When we arrived at the course, we checked in and headed out to the range to warm up. I had fun because I finally got the chance to loosen up and focus on my driver swing. However, that did not help my driver swing at all. I had the driver yips, again... I really need to fix this stinking club. On some holes, I could hit it and it would go about 150 yards. On other holes, it would only go 70 yards. WTF. We also went to the range after the round (hey the practice facilities are really nice) and I found that my hands were too low on my take back. This made sense because high hands usually equal good drives for me. I also realize I need to swing through the ball and around my body. I think I swing through the ball and up. Ugh. Need to fix that. God I sound redundant, but it's always the same problem.

In addition to driving yips, my chipping was crappy. I decided to drop the specialty wedges and use my sand wedge for chipping. I need to really focus on accelerating my hands through the ball. If I don't do that, my ball goes nowhere. And I need my own wedge. My sand wedge gets stuck and it feels too light to chip with. However I did use it to get out of my one and only bunker. It was on the 18th hole, the sand was fluffy and I got it out and 2 putted for double bogey. yay! So all of my hard work this past week in the bunker has paid off.

My iron play was ok. We had gps carts and I had a better sense of my yardages.
5w - 130 yds
9w - 120 yds
6i - 100 yds
7i - 95 yds
8i - 80 yds with a tee, 75 without
9i - 70 yds
PW - 60-65
AW -
SW - 55 yds, 50 yds from rough with 2ft release.


Those are my yardages. I am a short hitter and this is why I am always hitting my woods. I did use my SW a lot on approach shots. So now I found my favorite approach distance. Good for me but kinda lame because my approach distance is somebody's pitching distance or half shot. haha. I really need to hit the ball harder on the downswing. When I attempt to hit harder on the downswing, I have trouble controlling my body. I think I need to take my normal take back instead of rushing.

Putting. I had one 1 putt (for par too!), a few 2 putts and a bunch of 3 putts. I had trouble reading the greens because they would slope left and then right. How the hell do you do that? Also, the ball would slide near the hole because it was a faster green. This made my comeback putt tougher. I also kept missing putts to the right which could be attributed to 1) not aligning properly and 2) not closing the face. Gotta work on that. But I did learn to slow my tempo down on a short putt and take the same short stroke. I am getting better using a shorter stroke. yay!

Overall I had fun and I scored better than I expected. I really need to work on my driver because I need that distance off the tee. And I need to work on chipping. I can't chip for shit anymore. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment