Driving Range... again.... because we are playing Cinnabar on Saturday!!
Going into tonight's session, I really wanted to work on trying to keep my head still and eliminating my sway. That sorta worked. I think my proprioceptors are off or I have no idea what a correct swing is really supposed to feel like. Well I tried to work on keeping my head still and eliminating my sway, but that didn't work out so great. I tried to fix things as a whole instead of breaking it down. So I stopped working on that, and instead worked on my backswing. I know, I know where is the discipline?
Working on my backswing and takeback helped me realize what contributed to the sway. My right leg! On my takeback I lock my right knee instead of keeping it slightly flexed. I also didn't feel "stacked" at set up. My weight was distributed more on my toes instead of distributing the weight evenly over the balls and heels of my feet. I also worked on shortening my takeback so that I can be more aggressive on the downswing. Also, I realized I tilt instead of rotate around my core. Shortening my backswing helped me to get a sense of rotating instead of tilting.
I started to hit better once I thought "start takeback with left shoulder." I started to hit a lot better. Heck even my driver went about 150 yards (that's a HUGE accomplishment these days). I even got my six iron to go about 130 yards. =) This also helped me to rotate instead of tilt.
But I still have so many things to fix. One thing at a time, one thing at a time.
The bunkers and pitching green were clear, so I got to practice that. Yay! I'm getting better at getting out of the bunker. I practices fluffy lies and hard packed lies. I still can't get the ball to stop rolling, but it's getting out and going towards my target. In the previous session (2.17.10), I learned the importance of tempo. If i rush my swing, things go awry. I tend to mishit and hit a bunch of sand. So I have to think one-two (and rotate with my left shoulder.
Since nobody was around, I got to practice 40-60 yard shots. Normally, these would be pitches for the average person that hits their wedge around 100 degrees. I'm a short hitter and 60 yards equals my gap wedge and my sand wedge is about 50-55 yards. So guess who practices full shots from the rough? Me. hehe. That was fun and I learned to keep rotating through and not try to punch out the ball. The rough was thick, so i had to really work making good contact, keeping my wrists strong and rotating through.
I feel ready for Cinnabar, except for my chipping. I am having so much trouble chipping. I have neglected it and hopefully the next time I go to the range I will dedicate more time to this. I also haven't practiced my putting because the sun sets early. I think I'll be fine here and Anthony wants to go early so we can warm up. So, I'll have the chance to practice my putting and hopefully get some chipping in.
So I feel good. I get to play tees were the total yardage is under 5000 yards, but the slope is around 120. Which means it's still difficult, but the distance is a good distance for me. yay!
While playing at Cinnabar I will keep 2-3 swing thoughts.
1. Start swing with left shoulder
2. Shorten backswing
3. Left side flat at impact.
I need pictures. These entries look so boring with just words.
Friday, February 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment